The Autobahn Road House Bar and Restaurant is situated on Glasnevin Avenue. The Autobahn gets its name partly after the German road network, this paired with the idea of the Road House is a welcoming image for weary commuters, workers, DCU students and staff. The Autobahn provides a relaxed, comfortable and pleasant environment for customers.
the autobahn is one of Dublin’s most renowned pubs and a well known Glasnevin landmark.
There has been a settlement in the area of the Autobahn since the early 1700′s and many notable families would retire to the area. The area was described as a parish in the barony of Coolock, “pleasantly situated and the residence of many families of distinction”. To the North East is Ballymun. The current town of Ballymun is not in the area historically called Ballymun; instead, it is in several townlands, the most significant of which was Stormanstown. The nearest village was Santry Village, property of the Domville family.
Much of the present day central Ballymun lies on lands once in the northern reaches of the Albert Agricultural College estate, the forerunner of the present-day Dublin City University (D.C.U.). Albert College is the oldest building on the campus of Dublin City University and contains the offices of the university president, the DCU Educational Trust, and other executive offices of the university; the building dates from 1851.