The Autobahn Road House Bar and Restaurant is situated on Glasnevin Avenue. The Autobahn gets its name partly after the German road network, this paired with the idea of the Road House is a welcoming image for weary commuters, workers, DCU students and staff. The Autobahn provides a relaxed, comfortable and plesant environment for customers.
There has been a settlement in the area of the Autobahn since the early 1700′s and many notable families would retire to the area. The area was described as a parish in the barony of Coolock, “pleasantly situated and the residence of many families of distinction”. To the North East is Ballymun. The current town of Ballymun is not in the area historically called Ballymun; instead, it is in several townlands, the most significant of which was Stormanstown. The nearest village was Santry Village, property of the Domville family.
Much of the present day central Ballymun lies on lands once in the northern reaches of the Albert Agricultural College estate, the forerunner of the present-day Dublin City University (D.C.U.). Albert College is the oldest building on the campus of Dublin City University and contains the offices of the university president, the DCU Educational Trust, and other executive offices of the university; the building dates from 1851.
In 1838, John Pitt Kennedy, the first inspector-general of the nascent Irish National School system, acquired land for the state for the specific purpose of building a central model farm and training establishment for National School teachers. The teachers were to be taught how to give instruction to children not only in reading, writing and arithmetic but also in practical and innovative methods of agriculture. Albert College started life as Glasnevin Model Farm in 1838, becoming the Albert National Agricultural Training Institution in 1853 after a visit by Prince Albert.
In 1902 the name Albert Agricultural College was adopted. In the early 20th century Paul A Murphy, Professor of plant pathology made a significant scientific breakthrough in the study of phytophthera infestans, the fungus which causes potato blight. In the definitive work on the Irish Famine – The Great Hunger – the author Cecil Woodham-Smith states that in view of the fact that Ireland suffered so much from the blight it was “by a stroke of poetic justice that it was in Ireland that much of the final research was carried out… at the Albert College in Glasnevin, Dublin”. In 1989 the NIHE became Dublin City University, and continued its capital development plan on the 50-acre (20 ha) former Albert College lands that it owns.